Is today May 12th? Did Facebook really just save the day and remind me that today is our anniversary? I swear sometimes I’m the dude in this relationship. I forget important dates all the time. For the first three years of Logan’s life, I could have sworn his birthday was March 9th, instead of March 8th.
I have to work until 9:00 pm tonight, so there won’t be anything special about this anniversary. I’ll probably be too tired for sex tonight, or he’ll be sleeping (with Sports Center playing on our bedroom television).
I’m sure we will make it up to each other later in the week, but for today, I just want to tell you all why Shaun Soleau is so special to me. He gets teased a lot around here, but it’s because he’s such an easy target, and like the kid in kindergarten, you tease the one you love the most.
7 Years &
77 Reasons Why Meredith Loves Shaun Soleau
1. He’s so laid back. I freak out, and he stays calm. Mostly.
2. He’s got a thing for single moms.
3. He brings me coffee in bed every morning.
4. He takes turns getting up in the middle of the night with kids and puppies.
5. He’s “the heavy” when I ask him to be. Can you just handle this for me? Thanks. I like to be the good cop.
6. We never run out of things to talk about.
7. He likes to hear me sing.
8. If I get him drunk enough, he will sing duets with me. Right now, we are mastering Extreme’s “More Than Words”. I sing the harmony parts.
9. He can’t carry a tune in a bucket. It’s adorable.
10. He likes to hold hands in the car.
11. When I tell him I don’t like people, he doesn’t like them either. Because that’s what true best friends do.
12. He warns me about people I can’t trust, because I tend to be too trusting. But he never tells me not to like someone. I just do that to him.
13. He’s so tall.
14. My best friend recently went through an ugly breakup, and he sat her down and told her not to lower her standards this time. She really does deserve better.
15. He has a really great family. Seriously. I love them.
16. He raises Lars as his own son. When strangers say they look alike, he just says, “Thanks!”
17. He is really smart. Like, scary smart.
18. He tells me when to shut up.
19. He listens to my alien conspiracy theories… for hours.
20. He looks terrible with a mustache, which is good, because I hate kissing anyone with a mustache.
21. He is willing to wear whatever I dress him in for the day.
22. He drives a motorcycle.
23. He plays nerdy games with his friends, like Magic of the Gathering, and even though I don’t understand it, it’s better than him hanging out at strip clubs.
24. He understands that I’m a jealous person because of my past relationships. So he let’s me go through his phone whenever I want to.
25. I’ve auditioned plenty of men for the part, but he’s the best kisser. So I gave him the lifetime role of “Partner”.
26. He made me like animals.
27. He worries about other people. A lot. As in, he is concerned for others.
28. He doesn’t like bad children in restaurants, so he helps to make sure ours are behaving.
29. He smells amazing after smoking a cigar.
30. Speaking of smells, I love the way his deodorant smells when I cuddle with him.
31. He likes to cuddle.
32. He doesn’t have hair all over his chest, so it’s really nice to lay my head on.
33. He has a giant penis.
34. He’s the best in bed. Ever.
35. He says, “thank you,” when I do little things for him.
36. He tells me I’m pretty all the time.
37. He tells me not to cut my hair. He loves my hair.
38. I get to be the emotional one in the relationship, which is good, because it would fall apart if we were both emotional.
39. He never tells me to stop crying, even though he hates it when I cry.
40. He’s an excellent cook.
41. He takes us to the lake every weekend, and we hang out on boats. I was raised on lakes and boats, so I love passing this down to our children.
42. When I was in labor, he yelled at nurses until I got my epidural. He hates seeing me in pain.
43. He cried when Logan and Lilah were born.
44. He changes diapers. He would totally change your baby’s diaper if he was babysitting it.
45. He takes the boys for haircuts.
46. He’s the teacher of “how to ride a bike”.
47. He kisses Lilah’s boo-boos, even though he tells the boys to “just brush it off”.
48. When we first began dating, he dropped his cell phone in the lake, and he freaked out because he didn’t have my number memorized by heart. His mom will tell you he was an asshole the rest of the weekend because of it.
49. He asked me to date him for a good six months.
50. We’ve been friends since the fifth grade. He remembers everyone, and he helps me muddle through it when I’ve forgotten someone’s name from school.
51. He knows how to do math, so he helps with all of the Fifth Grade Math Class homework.
52. He knows when to throw in the towel. Take golf for example… He sucked at golf so he quit golfing. I love his outlook on this. Why do anything you don’t love doing? Life’s too short.
53. I like to go out and be social. He’s not super social, but he tags along and drives me home if I get too socially drunk (even though he would rather just sit at the kitchen counter with me).
54. He doesn’t care if I wear Spanx everyday. I know he hates them and doesn’t understand why I love them, but he still thinks I’m hot in them.
55. He let’s me blog about him.
56. He laughs at my jokes, unless he’s heard it 500 times, then he just smirks at my jokes.
57. He’s the best listener.
58. It must be hard living with a wife with ADHD, whose brain never runs out of ideas, but he’s always been really supportive of whatever crazy idea I want to try.
59. He isn’t handy, so he’s finally thrown in the hammer and decided we should hire out home remodeling (read: he admits when he’s wrong).
60. He let’s me be right about most things. Unless I’m really wrong. And then he tells me.
61. He minds his own business. I never hear him gossip. Which is sort of boring, but also very cool.
62. He doesn’t care if I start all sentences with, “Dude…”
63. He calls me “Wife”. He calls my brothers “Brother”. It’s funny because that’s how my family refers to each other. My dad calls my mom “Wife”. I call my brothers “Brother”.
64. He loves my mom and dad, and my brothers.
65. He never asks me how much money I’ve spent, only, “Did you find anything good today?”
66. He wants me to try to make more money than he does. My financial success isn’t a threat to him. Probably because his penis is so huge.
67. On the topic of success, he’s worked his way up through his company. This tells me he’s a good employee. I love good employees.
68. He tries new things when I encourage him. When I said, “Try sushi! Try red wine!”… he totally tried sushi and red wine, and he loved it.
69. He won’t admit it, but he watches The Real Housewives of Every City with me.
70. He opens doors for me.
71. He is so handsome.
72. He loves to travel. He travels with me a lot to my speaking gigs.
73. He tells me I’m smart and that he loves me. ALL THE TIME.
74. He’s always trying to touch me.
75. I’m never bored.
76. He fills my car up with gas. I hate going to the gas station.
77. We never stop laughing.
Shaun, I am so sorry that I didn’t wish you a Happy Anniversary this morning.
(But to be fair, I think you forgot too.)
I love you more than I’ve ever loved anything, ever. Let’s stay together until we die.
I’ll let you be single in Heaven.