This is a post about money. Talking about money is rude. But when have you ever known me to be polite? Zero times.
Right now I’m paying a social media manager, a nanny, a few part-time graphic designers, some part-time photographers, my mom (she keeps the books), and my dad (he’s my driver because I suck so bad at driving).
424 Degrees is a real-life advertising agency now. We have a staff of people. I MADE THIS WITH MY OWN HANDS, GUYS!
It feels pretty great.
I need to quadruple in size. And I can’t do it as a start-up without someone taking a financial hit or getting investors. I don’t want investors.
There’s this other thing happening. A GIANT thing. A decision that’s been discussed and discussed for a year in our household. Should my husband quit his job and come work here, too?
- He’s my favorite human
- I trust him more than anyone else
- He’s fun to look at all day
- I could sexually harass him
- He’s smart and creative
- We can pay all of our bills with my income alone right now
- He’s better with money than yours truly
- He would see our children more than he does now
- I need someone else full-time that will understand not getting paid until we bring on more clients
- He wants to be a millionaire as much as I want it
- He never gives me shit for working all the time
- He’s as interested in growing this thing as I am
- He’s knows how to work a camera
- He would go on the road half the time, so I can be home more often
- He’s worked at his current workplace forever and got lots of promotions
- No more long daily commute to work
- He knows how to write
- We’ve never worked together (outside of taking wallpaper off of every wall in this house)
- We’ve never shared money
Those are some pretty big cons, right?
We don’t share bank accounts. We’re like sexy roommates. When we were first married, we shared a bank account for exactly 30 days. It didn’t go well. I don’t think I should have to report in anytime I buy new clothes (which happens often). And he doesn’t think he should have to report in anytime he buys a boat without asking. “We work hard for our own individual money,” has been our attitude.
As far as working together goes – will it work out? He wants his name on the LLC. Which? I understand. He’s walking away from a super high paying job and taking a huge risk. What if something happens? He wants to be protected, too. But I still get to be the boss of my baby.
We’ve decided to throw caution to the wind. Fuck the cons. We’re taking the plunge. Notices have been given. He starts the first week of September.
We’re going to openly share the ups and downs of working together with all of you. If you and your spouse/partner work together, we would love some advice! Tell us how to make this thing work without killing each other!